Tremendous oversight by Dairy Queen employees leads to panic and health concerns

iStock_000029610102SmallThis is a very unpleasant story … but one that needs to be told because fast food consumers should be aware of the possible health risks that can exist at any fast food location that have nothing to do with the fat, calories, salt, sugar or bad ingredients.

A pretty frightening incident occurred for a Colorado woman and her son when they ordered a vanilla shake from a Dairy Queen and instead got ice cream with some floor cleaner in it.

Lisa Chase said she ordered the shake at a Dairy Queen location in the town of Thornton and gave it to her son. It didn’t take long for the boy to start complaining that the treat felt like it was burning his tongue.

“Something was, like, bubbling on my tongue,” Riley Chase said, adding that the bubbling was accompanied with a burning sensation.

Apparently, the shake contained more than just ice cream. Along with the dairy and vanilla-flavored ingredients, the shake also contained floor cleaner and a degreasing concentrate.

“You couldn’t even taste the ice cream in it,” said Lisa Chase. “It tasted like you were drinking a very strong cleanser. Then, the burn started instantly.”

The cleaner that Riley ingested contains sodium hydroxide that can cause internal burns, vomiting and even shock.

While her son is already feeling better, following a trip to the hospital, Lisa Chase is worried that others may not have been so lucky.

“Now they admitted it’s two since I was there… now it’s up to three people. They need to be held accountable for what they’re doing,” she said.

The owner of the Dairy Queen franchise in Thornton said the incident was a terrible accident. Apparently, one employee was soaking the vanilla syrup container in the cleaner when another worker picked it up believing it was clean, and filled it with syrup.

The owner also said he has contacted the Health Department and poison control, and that both employees have been disciplined for failing to follow proper procedure.

When you think about this situation, it’s (sadly) easy to see how it could have happened. FoodFacts.com is, frankly, curious as to how we haven’t heard about something like this before. And while, it’s certainly not a possibility any of us might like to consider, it’s absolutely something for which fast food consumers should be on the alert. This is a mistake that is far too easy to make — especially with lines of consumers waiting for their orders and workers trying to keep up with them. So, if you aren’t making vanilla shakes in your blender with your own ice cream and milk, it’s important to be aware of this potentially deadly mistake that could so easily be repeated anywhere.

http://www.kutv.com/news/features/national/stories/vid_6698.shtml